We are continuing our conversations with our teacher and friend Paul Rebillot on the topic of the Healing Theatre – the combination of acting and drama, mythology, gestalt therapy, and rituals. For more information about Paul and his work, please visit his website – Direct Impact Creativity.
In this episode, Paul explains the structure and design of Rites of Passage, or the Rituals of Transformation.
The topics covered in this talk are:
- Rites of Passage – Example
- Ways of leaving the “nest”
- Suffering is being stuck at a passage
- Structure for creating rites of passages
- Ritual is dying to the old and being born into the new
- Boy becoming a man – one of the aboriginal rituals
- How did you find out that there is no Santa Clause?
- Various rites of passages
- How do we construct these rituals?
- Saying good-bye to the past
- Symbolic act of ending the past
- Going into the no-man’s-land
- Crossing into the other side, being who they are. Trying something new behavior in the new place.
- Group gesture to complete the ritual